Sunday, August 24, 2014

Some Days Are BLIS(T)S

Yesterday was an active day. I started a blog! This included choosing this platform, deciding on a title, writing a brief bio, and posting my first entry.  The fun part was sharing with friends, "Guess what I did today?"

One of my friends challenged me, in a good way. She asked my what I was hoping to accomplish with my blog. Very good question from a very savvy thinker.

I do believe I started an online blog because it is trendy. Sounds rather shallow, but honest. But wait, there's more. I also did a little research.  Close to 40 million people blog in the United States alone.  Blogging started in 1990 as a tool for online expression. It was a place for folks to share interests, hobbies, and stories. Through the years, blogging has expanded into a major publishing business and marketing tool.

I can list trends that have become mainstays in my life. I shop Groupon, read off a Kindle, have a Facebook page, and wear leggings. Admittedly, I failed to develop a taste for kale and quinoa. And I have never been to a Zumba class.

So in my own mind, I am totally trendy and cool. Do not pay attention to that 14 year old behind the curtain.  Here is my first BLIST. A BLIST is a blogging list. That could be a term. Or it could be something I just made up.

MY TOP TEN REASONS FOR BLOGGING
IN NO SIGNIFICANT ORDER

1. I love words.
I often pause on a sentence I read or hear. I marvel at the construction, at the picture that was painted by these words in my mind. It can give me goosebumps.

2. I have intimate relationships with writing.
Books have been my companions at times in my life when I have been alone or in need of escape.

3.Many writers are my role models.
Harper Lee, Leon Uris, Harlan Coben, Liane Moriarty, Jana Oliver, Glennon Doyle Melton, Brene Brown, Richard Rohr are but a few.
In my imaginary life, I want to be one of these folks.

4. I want to be better at writing.
To be a better at it, I need to do it more. Writing is an action word.
Actually, writing is a present particle, the -ing form of the verb write.
I want to be a better and more interesting writer...

5. I want to continue improving my communication skills.
Writing helps me sort things out and put words to my experiences and emotions.

6. I want to be a better thinker.
Aging both helps and hinders that process. To me, it's a balancing act. We age, we have lots of experiences.  The trick is remembering the details.

7. I want to be more disciplined and make a commitment to healthy life habits.
Important since I can't tolerate kale and quinoa.

8. At different times in my life, I have journaled. Blogging, for me, is just that, journaling.

9. I love that moment when you are sharing with a friend and you connect, you understand each other on a deep, spiritual level. So maybe this is about a desire to share my ideas, thoughts, expertise and
make connections.

10. In the words of a dear college friend, Clarice,
"If it feels good, do it!"








1 comment:

  1. Another great entry! I like that you don't like quinoa or kale and are confident enough to admit that! May your expectations for blogging be met, my friend.

    ReplyDelete