Sunday, January 25, 2015

Some Days Are Not Flip Flop Days

February is coming. I was born and raised in the Chicago area, so I will be blunt and tell you honestly: February sucks. I say this in full recognition of some very important dates in February. Like Groundhog's Day. And Valentine's Day. Then there are important birthdays. Along with the birthdays of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, 3/5 of my family of origin celebrate birthdays in February. So there are cakes, candles, and a day off from school.

That is all she wrote for February.

February in my estimation is the antithesis of July. July is blue sky, sunshine, long days fading into mild evenings. July is t-shirts, short pants, and flip flops.  February is short days, gray skies, and cold weather. If you are wise, February involves layers of clothing. February is SAD, as in Seasonal Affective Disorder.  On a positive note, February is the shortest month of the year.

It is best to prepare for February. So, here is a blist (blog list) of the top ten things I hope to keep in mind during the deep, dark days of this approaching Chicagoland February.

Appreciate the snow
It snowed here this morning and it really lightened things, including my mood. Even though it makes for slow travel and shoveling, snow brightens everything. It covers the dead, ugly muck. 

Get outside
Despite the cold and gray, it can feel so good to move. If you have kids, sledding or building something in the snow can be fun. Walking can be invigorating, looking down for tracks in the snow or up for snow in the branches.   

Take your time
Driving can be crazy. I remember purchasing my first cell phone in February. It was very calming to be able to phone to say the roads are a bitch and I am on the way.  

Use your crockpot
February is our time to simmer soups in the crockpot. It warms us at the end of the day and we come home to a good-smelling home. If I was a baker, I would bake breads. I am not a baker.

Cuddle
This is where family and pets are important home accoutrements.  

Vicks on your feet
To add insult to injury, most of us get a upper respiratory some thing some time in February. Vicks on your feet is crazily inexplicable, but many swear by its therapeutic effects. We are Vicks-ready.

Open the curtains and shades
When it is dark, I tend to think "why bother" when it comes to this. But I force myself and, if and when the sun comes out, it can be glorious and well worth the effort.

Get out of town
If possible, it is good to get to a spot that is above 50 degrees. Even a long weekend of sun accompanied by a warm, caressing breeze can be therapeutic.

Don't bitch about it.
It is February. It sucks. Accept it. Spring is just beyond the horizon.

Get a heated toilet seat.
I have been fantasizing about this since visiting my friend Roger.

In closing, I recommend you stay warm, use antidepressants as needed, and have a tolerable February.




1 comment: