Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Some Days Are Replays

I have listened to a video clip five times since yesterday morning. Five times. I first listened while driving in the car. I listened again while walking (and freezing). The next two times I listened while sitting. Finally this morning, I listened again while doing the dishes.

Obviously, it is time to blog.

I guess I could say the topic of the video clip is "speaking to me." I feel a bit like a child watching the same DVD over and over. Or the teenager who listens to the same recording again and again.

I found this video clip in a blog. On Monday morning I was driving home from an excellent adventure with my college friends. Since I was out in farm country, FM reception was scratchy. So I plugged in my iPhone and listened on the car speakers.

The video clip was entitled "No One Cares For My Soul." I did not know what to expect exactly when I first listened. I did not know anything about the speaker. I do not know the blogger either, for that matter. I just like the way she thinks and expresses herself.

Here is what has been going through my mind from about the fourth time I listened....

People may profess a faith. Or not. People may participate in organized religion. Or not. But I think the biggest group are those who believe that our physical bodies hold a soul. We may call it different names like spirit, essence, inner self, life force, energy. We may even think of it in different ways, based on what we are taught or what we believe.

I know - and I am pretty certain others could agree - that a soul can be hurt. That a soul can be sick. I know this because I experienced a hurting soul. The sad part was that very few people understood this. The words "my soul is wounded" seemed to be received like gibberish. It does sound crazy. Sounds even crazier when it is embedded in all kinds of emotion. Yet, we speak of a soul as an entity we possess, like a mind and a body. A mind can get sick. A body can be wounded. Why not a soul?

I think soul sickness and wounds happen to people all the time. I think what happens is real. I do have thoughts on how this happens. I think the speaker in this video clip has some excellent thoughts on how this happens.

With the grace of God, I am not in the same place, metaphysically and literally. I am pleased to say that these days my soul is robust. And at peace. Now if I could get my mind and body into that same space, things would be excellent! But I digress.

Another thing. I am not certain we know exactly what we are talking about when we refer to the human soul. For starters, it is pretty abstract. Not exactly the stuff of cocktail party/kegger conversation. Not even the stuff of faith community conversation often times. Then, how do we know when a  soul is sick or injured? What exactly does that mean? And, perhaps the most important question, what do we do when someone we know and love is soul sick?

Heavy, right?  For me, I required some fairly drastic measures to heal my soul.  There is a great book just published by Kathy Escobar entitled Faith Shift. Her book gave me the language for what I had experienced.

May things be well with your soul

Oh, yes. Here is the clip. It is almost ten minutes.

No One Cares For My Soul www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7s7vn2740 


No comments:

Post a Comment