Monday, December 22, 2014

Some Days Are Windy

The word is out that it is going to be a windy Christmas. Unlike snow, wind does not make everything white and new. Also unlike snow, the wind has no shape or form. Nevertheless, we can feel its presence.  And, like snow, wind can be soft and gentle or strong and constant.

I recall a Christmas story about wind. It is a children's book, Rudey's Windy Christmas, by Helen Baugh. Rudey was one of Santa's lesser known reindeer. He ate too many sprouts on Christmas Eve.  Poor Rudey, he had an issue with wind. Pretty hilarious story.

Wind is also a metaphor for Spirit.  I do not consistently think of God when it snows but I almost always think of God when I feel or hear the wind. Wind on Christmas will be a good reminder of God's love and presence.

Thomas Merton wrote "No writing...can say anything that has already been said better by the wind in the pine trees."

I will be listening.


1 comment: