Friday, October 3, 2014

Some Days Are Blackjack

What do this century, CornHole, Blackjack, and this blog have in common?

Cue Jeopardy music.

Da da da da da da da. Da da da da DA, dadadada. Da da da da da da da DA, da da da DUH, DUH, DUUHH.

Did you get it?  Actually, there are two answers.  The first  answer is "21." It is the 21st century, the winning score in CornHole and in Blackjack is 21, and this is my 21st blog entry. Good job!

The second answer is that all the items on this list have the potential to generate stories.  For example, although not technically 21st century, oh the stories we could tell about Y2K. People in the computer biz are chock-full of stories of their lives leading up to Y2K. Stories about all work and no play. And maybe no sleep.  My story would be remembering and marveling that every stoplight was busy doing its thing early in the morning of January 1, 2000. Way to perform, grid.

When I think CornHole, I think 4th of July. Jay's brother Bryan constructed CornHole platform boards in the usual Shuler fashion: perfectly. CornHole, replete with all kinds of silly, funny, out-of-control shenanigans, went on all weekend. Our daughter still pulls her pj bottoms up to her pits and struts around saying, "I am Uncle Bryan!" You had to be there.

Blackjack triggers stories of visiting Melody and Steve in Vegas. We all played at a group arcade and our daughter, perhaps six years old, won. All the teen and twenty-something boys could be heard saying, "That little girl beat us?" You betcha, fellas!

And then my blog. I admit, I do not know what I am doing exactly. I just keep doing it. Although 21 blogs later, I believe I am living more fully now that I have taken on this new hobby.

Norman MacLean wrote, "Somewhere along here I became conscious of the feeling...that comes when you first notice your life turning into a story." He said this in A River Runs Through It and Other Stories (emphasis mine).

So it seems. All our lives are stories, just waiting for us to realize this. And then waiting for us to find our voice.


1 comment:

  1. Love this one! Our lives are our stories, with more to savor as we become rich in years.

    ReplyDelete