Friday, October 10, 2014

Some Days Are Squeakers

Marriage is a wonderful experience. Not only do Jay and I share love and life, we share vocabulary. Before Jay, I knew nothing about cars and car terminology. My ignorance resulted in blowing out an engine. True story. Ignorance is not bliss. It is expensive.

I will share with you three words that I have added to my vocabulary while living life with Jay. These words are squeakers, limiter, and pole.

Squeakers is a way-too-cute name for an awful sound. I found out about squeakers when I first owned a car that had this feature built into the brake system. It is rather elementary yet genius. Squeakers are basically a warning that your brakes need attention, sooner rather than later. The sound of squeakers is akin to a loose spring banging against an aluminum pie tin. This sound is present when the wheels are turning, saying to the driver TIME TO DO BRAKES constantly, unrelentingly until you give the brakes the needed attention.

Limiter. I do not even pretend to understand this one. It has to do with a computer setting in a car engine that limits the speed of the engine so it does not blow up. I could have used a limiter on the car I destroyed.

Jay and I have personified the term limiter. We will say, "He is on the limiter" or "Warning, I am on my limiter." Basically, it is the same as saying "He is on his last nerve" or "I am in messy, emotional overload." Personal limiters are as important as car limiters. A personal limiter can keep you from imploding or exploding, damaging yourself and others. It is important to keep your limiter in good working condition.

People could use squeakers too. In fact, people have squeakers. We just do not always recognize them as warning systems. Personal squeakers can be loud - like the sound of a bully harassing another person. Or personal squeakers can be quiet - like the soundlessness of a person withdrawing. Squeakers are the external equivalent of limiters. Without understanding, personal squeakers are just irritating. Not the warning system they truly are, letting others know that important attention is needed, sooner rather than later.

The final word is pole. The first time Jay told me he was on the pole, I had such a weird image come to mind. I now know being on the pole is a great thing. It means you will start a car race in first place. But here is my initial image and the old joke the words being on the pole evoked...

Jose came to America, ready to embrace his new life. The first thing he did was go to a baseball game. However, he could not find a seat.  In desperation, he climbed the flagpole and sat on the top. Perfect view, he thought. Before the game began, everyone in the stadium rose, faced him and sang "Jose, can you see." I love America, smiled Jose.


No comments:

Post a Comment