Saturday, October 11, 2014

Some Days Are Puzzles

I met a new person last spring. This fall I am getting to know her better. Her name is Maggie. She is a cardiac surgeon, obviously bright and accomplished. Maggie is also biracial and adopted, traits that run in our family.

I am looking forward to learning Maggie's insights on adoption and race, from an adult's perspective. I want to meet Maggie's parents and learn their story from the adoptive parents' perspectives. But more than that, I am intrigued by Maggie's personality and how she came to be the person she is today.

Maggie said last Thursday, "When I find a puzzle, it is very hard for me to put it down." I can so relate. I say, "When I find a puzzle, it is very hard for me not to analyze the crap out of it."

Maggie went on. “Most puzzles come down to one last piece of information, whether it’s the answer to a medical mystery or to the question of who you are or where you fit, it all comes down to that last piece.”

I wonder...How far is a person willing to go to find that last puzzle piece? How important is it? What if it cannot be found? How will Maggie live into the puzzles? How will I?

My relationship with Maggie is a bit one sided and totally dependent on the storytelling genius of Shonda Rhimes.   You see, Maggie is Dr. Maggie Pierce, a new character on Grey's Anatomy.




No comments:

Post a Comment