Friday, September 26, 2014

Some Days Are Nostalgic, Part 1

I was paging through the new Lands' End catalog and saw this:


I wore this!  Same turtleneck.  Same jumper.  Almost the same herringbone except my jumper had the more traditional herringbone pattern.  I wore my jumper in the 80's. What a trend setter!

I love that jumpers are returning to style.

Here is something I was hoping would never returns to style:


Years ago I donated these, along with platform shoes, to my daughter's dress up clothes stash. I wore them in the 80's. Not with the jumper, of course. I had several pair in different colors, some with wooden soles. We called them Barbie shoes. Anytime I needed to get somewhere in a hurry, I kicked them off and carried them.  And driving? Forget it.  Crazy kids and their crazy fashions!

I think Barbie shoes have been back in fashion. I am sure podiatrists everywhere are secretly happy.  It's a cash cow.

I believe this calls for a blist! A blist is a list on a blog.  I actually thought I invented this word. But I did not. It is in the Urban Dictionary. The fourth possible definition of blist, according to the Urban Dictionary is, "A list written as an addition to your personal blog."

So this blist has a compare and contrast feature.  We can compare Fashions We Would Love to See Return to the contrasting Fashions We Hope Never Return. Fun way to start the weekend? There is great potential here for bridging any awkward conversation gaps at parties, on the sidelines, on a drive, on a golf course, or at the dinner table. Let the blists begin!

FASHIONS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE RETURN

OVERALLS
Similar to jumpers, they are so comfortable and do not nip or tuck anywhere on your being.

PEASANT TOPS
Always a classic style.  So pretty and flowing, fun to wear. Similar to jumpers and overalls, peasant tops can be worn by many body types.

HATS
By this I do not mean the currently popular skater hat like this:
I'm thinking more Jackie Kennedy or Audrey Hepburn hats like this one from Breakfast at Tiffany's:


And, for the men, fedoras. My dad wore a fedora. Now my daughter does:



FASHIONS I HOPE NEVER RETURN 

BELL BOTTOM PANTS
This was a silly look. Also it was dangerous any time you got on a bicycle or a motorcycle.

BIG SHOULDER PADS
There was supposedly some optical illusion that took place to make a person's hips look smaller.
I thought they just made shoulders look bigger.

HIP HUGGER PANTS
For us of the high-waisted persuasion, a day in hip huggers was a day in a vise.






1 comment:

  1. Ha! Loved the trip down memory lane. I beg to differ with you about bell bottoms--those of us with stumpy little legs felt like we could fool everyone with looong bell bottoms and platform shoes!

    ReplyDelete