Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Some Days Are Racing

Ever since I was a young child, I had good taste in men, especially men I could admire from afar.  I had a serious crush on Paul Newman.  In fact, I hung a 24"x 36" poster of Paul Newman in my dorm room.  My friends once designed and taped a "Nya-ah-ahh Dishonest John" mustache on Paul.  It was funny.  One of these friends sent me a sympathy card the day Paul Newman passed away.

There was so much to Paul Newman, a beautiful person on the inside and out.  His life has inspired me.  At minimum, I buy his salad dressings and pasta sauces.

In the 70's Paul Newman started racing cars.  He claimed to have a "need for speed" and that "racing beats the rubbish of Hollywood."

My husband, Jay, has that same need for speed.  I actually met Jay at a race, Road America June Sprints.  As we dated, I learned that he had been into fast vehicles probably since he was a toddler.

For a number of years, being behind-the-wheel has taken a backseat to Jay's business and his family  He started his business, Brainchild, around the time our daughter was born.  He still frequented the track, mainly crewing.  His racing friends are amazing people and will be friends for life.  They are all crazy.

Jay is back behind the wheel again.  This summer, he was driving a Sports 2000 in regional races.  Then, several weeks ago, he tested a car owned by DJ Jans for the Trans Am Pro Series.  He is almost giggly.  Well, he is the Jay Shuler-equivalent of giggly.

You can read all about Jay's racing on his racing webpage www.jayshuler.com  I think he last updated it several years ago.  He has been busy.

Here is what I wrote years ago on his Supporters Page:

I am Kathy, Jay’s wife. Our relationship proves the adage that opposites attract. I dislike roller coasters and I always break when approaching an onramp. But I love Jay and I knew his passion for this sport when I fell in love with him, so he speeds (on the racetrack) with my complete support….and my constant prayers.

My idea of a good day at the races is spending most of the day on a comfy lawn chair with a good book. My favorite racing story is when the guys were testing Tony Ave’s Midget. This event occurred before we were married so please keep in mind that romance and new love were very much a part of Jay’s and my life. 

After sitting alone and reading for several hours, I decided to stretch and take a walk around the grounds. As I was walking, I passed the guys. I had not seen them for most of the day as they were very intent on tweaking the car to make it go faster. 

They were just returning from a test around the track and were very intent on what had just transpired. Imagine four guys, pushing a race car, yet talking with their hands, and using somewhat incomprehensible techno-language, with words such as “torque”. 

I, with the exuberance of a former cheerleader, exclaimed, “Hey, guys, how’d it go?” Well, all four of them looked up, obviously aware that a sound was coming from a non-engine-related source. But not one of them exchanged a nod, a wave, a “hey”. They were in the zone, the speed zone!

So it's 2014.  He's back, sports fans. Godspeed and GO JAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment