Monday, September 22, 2014

Some Days Are Vulnerable

This blog entry is dark and a little bit creepy. Proceed with caution.

When I was in my twenties, I was sick. I do not think I understood at the time how much illness colored my world. I would not relive my twenties if you paid me.

During a rather dark stretch, I wrote a poem. I found it recently, handwritten and buried in some old cards and letters. It is bleak but not without hope. I will always be grateful that hope wins.

I never wrote a serious poem again. But I did find a Ghostbuster. My Ghostbuster's name was Mary, a gifted social worker.

There's a ghost in my room and I am afraid
Afraid of the Ghost of the Unknown
Now surrounding me like a shroud
I can sense his gnarled fingers beckoning me forth.

But I cannot move
There are other ghosts lurking in the darkness
Holding me captive with their beguiling familiarity.

The Ghost of What Was
Holding tight, knowing pain
Protecting my heart with an icy grip.

The Ghost of What Is
Billowing fog, hushing dreams
Clouds of caution muting risk.

Take my hand and walk with me
If one of us stumbles, we both may fall
And lose each other in the darkness.
But together we can light a candle 
And face our Ghosts in the flickering light. 


1 comment:

  1. A candle, a hand to hold, and hope. Sounds like love, fellowship, and faith.

    ReplyDelete