Sunday, September 28, 2014

Some Days Are Nostalgic, Part 2

If you are younger than forty, chances are these nostalgia posts are a bit foreign to you.  Unless you have a mom or dad or grandparent who shares stories about "things we did in the old days."

I never refer to my past as the "good old days." Nor "the bad old days" for that matter. I think every generation is not without its own mixed bag of good and bad. For example, when I was younger, things in our culture were far less open. It was my experience that families argued once all the windows were closed so it appeared that no families (but ours) argued. More secrets were kept and only weak people sought mental health help.

Today our family talked about S&H Green Stamps.  Our fourteen year old daughter said, "What's that?" So we googled a picture of S&H Green Stamps:


We told our daughter how some stores gave their customers sheets of stamps after every purchase.  Customers saved the stamps, sticking them in books. Customers could redeem the books of stamps at the local S&H Redemption Centers for stuff. Stuff like appliances.

What is funny is both Jay and I shared stories of sticking the stamps in books for our moms.  Both our moms would wet a sponge and put it on a saucer.  We could use the sponge to wet the stamps so our mouths would not turn green. But neither of us remember anything that our family redeemed.

For reasons I do not totally understand, this past month I started saving the Jewel Osco saver stamps. Honestly, I have never saved stamps for anything before in my adult life. I am wondering if I never saved stamps because I remember all the work of pasting stamps but do not remember any of the reward.  Who knows? I just never became a stamp saver.

But...I think there is something going on with my decision to save stamps right now.  I am pretty certain it is not an intense longing for Cuisinart Classic Stainless Cookware. Truth be told, I have never been gaga for cookware.

But look at this picture of my Jewel stamps and Stamp Saver Card:


Yes.  These stamps are GREEN.  I think I am subconsciously channeling my mother! That is why I stopped after sticking but two stamps on my Stamp Saver Card. I am going to ask my daughter to stick them for me. She may not remember the fabulous cookware we get but she will probably have a great story to share some day.


No comments:

Post a Comment