Saturday, September 20, 2014

Some Days Are Twilight Zone-esque

One of the best television series was The Twilight Zone.  The element of suspense and the unexpected twist at the end of each episode was the winning combination. Goosebumps every viewing.

I blogged weeks ago about an experience I had at a Stevenson High School football game.  Well, now you are going to hear...the rest of the story.

My daughter is a member of the school's marching band.  On Fridays with scheduled home games,  she remains after school to prep with the rest of the band.  The football game in reference occurred on a Friday my husband Jay was out of town.  So I was home alone.

True confession: that particular evening, I took what was suppose to be a quick, pre-game nap.  It would have been wise to set an alarm.  I awoke with a start, realizing I had missed at best the entire first half, including the halftime performance.  Bad mommy.

But, this is a big school and football draws a big crowd. My plan was to go and simply blend in. Who would know? I got in the car and went to the high school.

Cue Twilight Zone music here.

The football stadium lights were on. There were cars in the parking lots. There was not a soul anywhere to be seen. I am saying nobody, anywhere. It was still. It was freaky.

The words crossed my mind.  "...you've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone." Either that or I was Left Behind.  That thought crossed my mind too.

The unexpected twist at the end of this episode was not so exciting. Lightning had been sited during the game.  Everyone was inside the school, waiting for a designated amount of time to pass before returning to the field and sitting on metal bleachers.

This is the same lightning I apparently napped through. The best drama of the evening was my performance.  I walked into the school, pretending I knew what was going on. Because, really, what kind of card-carrying Band Booster Club member sleeps through a home game?

"It was just another night of football in Lincolnshire, Illinois. Athletes, cheerleaders, marching band, fans. Then the lightning was sited. They will all go on playing - in the Twilight Zone."


2 comments:

  1. This is too funny, Kathy! It is your best story yet. I'm sure it was scary at the time, but it is too funny when retold.

    ReplyDelete